Friday, May 8, 2020

A Sanctioned Vigilante Execution

I’ve typed up about three different “monologues” about the shooting of Ahmaud Arbery, and they’ve all failed to grasp the core of this tragedy. My words really come up short, but I still felt compelled to share. Ahmaud was runned down and gunned down, in cold blood, while jogging in broad daylight, it was hate, it was racism and it was covered up, this behavior is definitely at the center of a great many things wrong with our country and to a larger degree, the human race. 

I pray for Ahmaud’s family, friends and community, death is always hard, and the violent wrongful death of this young man is that much more difficult, especially for those close to him. As I said, I don’t have words to make sense of any of it, but for those mourning his death and those mourning the passing of someone close to them, Jesus has words of encouragement for us in Matthew 5:4, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”


We live in a fallen world where sin runs rampant, there is evil in our world where awful people commit heinous crimes but we, Christians, can be a light and share the love and compassion of Christ to all, in all and through all. My prayer in times like these, that we receive and embody the peace and comfort that Christ spoke about to his disciples in John 14:27,” Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment